Water Charges

Water Charges Fact Sheet

Tenants of Homes North need to pay for the amount of water used at their home (water usage). This is set out in the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. Homes North will pay for other charges (supply of service, sewerage).


Water meters

The property you are living in has a water meter which measures your water usage. However, if you live in a unit/apartment your property will have a shared water meter (see below).


The water company is responsible for checking your water meter and Homes North receives a bill from the water company quarterly. Each time Homes North receives a bill, we will check your water account to see if you have any credit or debt owing. If you do, we will carry it over to next quarter’s bill.


Shared water meters in units/apartments

If you live in a unit/apartment, your property has a shared water meter in the building. This means you will be charged differently from properties that have a separate water meter.


The money you need to pay for your water usage is calculated based on your rent. Before we send your water bill to you, we will also calculate your building’s water usage and we will reduce the total amount by twenty per cent (20%). The left over amount is then divided between the number of apartments in the building so that the money you owe is directly related to your water usage.


You can read more about our water charges in Section 4 of our Water Charging Policy.


New tenants and their water usage

  • Tenants starting a new tenancy with Homes North need to pay a percentage of water charge for their property until Homes North receives the first bill from the water company.
  • Homes North will then compare the amount you have paid with your actual usage since you moved in.
  • Any credit or debit will be placed on your non-rent account.
  • The charge for water usage is due at the time of billing. If you cannot pay the bill on time, speak to your Housing Manager about paying installments.


Allowances for health, disability & large households

  • Homes North may give you an allowance if you have health problems, a disability or live in a large household of six or more people.
  • You can request for an allowance by speaking to your Housing Manager.
  • Tenants with a shared water meter are not eligible for the large household allowance.


Who to contact if you disagree with the amount of water charges?

  • If you think we made an error or a wrong decision about your water usage or water allowance request, you should contact your Housing Manager.
  • If you are not happy with the decision, we can review it again.


Where to get more information?

If you have any further questions, please contact the Homes North office:

Contact Homes North on 02 6772 5133 or armidale@homesnorth.org.au

Download Water Charges Fact Sheet