Water Saving Tips Fact Sheet
Leaking taps can waste up to 2,000 litres of water a month. If you have leaking pipes and taps around your house, we have some simple tips to reduce your water bill and save you money.
- Don’t leave the tap running when brushing your teeth, washing your face or shaving – this could save you 1 bucket of water per day.
- Reduce your shower time – you could save up to 9 litres of water per minute.
- Check your toilet bowl for running water.
- Check your plumbing for any drips or leaks.
- Wash clothes only when you have a full load.
- If you need a new washing machine, select a machine that has a water efficient rating.
- Check your plumbing for any leaks.
- Put a plug in the sink when peeling vegetables, rinsing dishes or washing your hands.
Outside your home
- Wash your car on the lawn using a bucket and sponge instead of a hose – this will save you about 20 litres of water per minute.
- Don’t cut the lawn too short – this will reduce the amount of water your lawn needs to stay green and healthy.
- Select native and other water wise plants and group plants so that they have similar watering needs.
- Use mulch and add organic material such as compost to the soil, which helps retain moisture and reduce evaporation.
- Water your garden early in the morning or during the evening.
- Water the base of the plants not the leaves.
- Use a rake or broom to clean paths and driveways instead of using a hose.
Check for Leaks
- Make sure all taps are tuned off, including the washing machine.
- Check the hot water service isn’t leaking on to the ground.
- Check that the taps outside your home are not leaking.
Report dripping taps, running toilet cisterns, leaking hot water services and any leaking or faulty pipes and water connections to Homes North on 67725133.
Where can I get more information?
If you have any further questions, please contact the Homes North office:
Contact Homes North on 6772 5133 or email@example.com